I'm partial to a Scotch Egg, or two. It's the kind of snack that reminds me of home, and it's a real rarity here in Calgary....

How To: Scotch Eggs

I'm partial to a Scotch Egg, or two. It's the kind of snack that reminds me of home, and it's a real rarity here in Calgary.

So, when I spotted some sausage meat in the grocery store, I thought I may as well give them a go because even if it didn't turn out looking like a Scotch Egg, sausage and egg is always good (although since the WHO's report I'm starting to have doubts!).

A lot of the eggs I've seen in the grocery store are white, but for this I bought brown ones. I've read that there's not really any difference between the two, it's just that different breeds of chicken lay different coloured eggs.

To make my breadcrumbs I used a couple of slices of 60% whole-wheat bread. They weren't overly stale, so I left them in the sun for an hour or so and blended them in the Magic Bullet.

After I boiled my eggs, I peeled them and covered them in flour, and then I wrapped them in sausage meat. I found that the sausage meat was easier to use when it was cold, as it warmed up to room temperature it got a lot stickier and harder to deal with. I found that washing the sticky residue off my hands with cold water helped to combat the problem, maybe because it was also reducing the temperature of my hands. 


Then I dipped the Scotch Eggs in beaten egg, coated them in the breadcrumbs and cooked them for half an hour, and *voila*...


I honestly didn't think it would be so simple. 


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.