I've said goodbye to the pig farm and travelled over 2,800 miles.  The last week on the farm included a lot of exploring.

MIA

I've said goodbye to the pig farm and travelled over 2,800 miles. 
The last week on the farm included a lot of exploring.


We'd usually head down to the pond after our morning chores to catch a closer glimpse of these painted turtles. A lot of the time we'd hear rustling in the leaves as we approached the pond, and then see ripples in the water, so we started trying to sneak up on them. One day I hopped the electric fence and stood on a rock on the edge of the pond to get a better view and realised that all that rustling we'd heard wasn't turtles, it was water snakes.
The noise I made upon that discovery was probably enough to scare off any coyotes in the surrounding area. 
Over the next few days my dislike for water snakes turned into some sort of weird obsession. I'd go to the pond looking for them, and talk myself into getting closer and closer to them. One you noticed one, you noticed a whole load more. The place was crawling with them. 
I'd done a bit of research on them and read that they're very curious, which was confirmed one day when a small one slithered up to me to investigate. I watched it for a while, but then alarms started ringing in my head and I swiftly vacated the area. Absolute nope.





A pig skull found in the swamp.




Downy Woodpecker.


On our last morning we found out that one of the sows had given birth through the night in the field. Newborn piglets are the warmest, cutest little things ever. But gee whizz do some of them squeal. I honestly can't get over their little ears!









You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.